Friday, June 26, 2009

Living it up in ol' Mogantown


Well..... I'm back to the blog, by popular demand.
I spent the last four days at the craziest haunted house I've ever seen. Brian and I were cast in a short horror film... they crammed the shoot into four days, which meant we were up till sunrise every day. It was an awesome experience, I never realized how tedious movie making is..... 2 hours for a 4 minute scene! Crazy! It was quite the experience and I want to do it again, I've always been an actress, maybe I found my calling. Between Brian(Chad) throwing me to the ground, and the killer slicing my face and neck up.... I was a bloody mess by the end! I don't even like horror films really, but they sure are entertaining to make. The house is called fright farm, it's this guy Rich's old family house that he added onto, to create the most elaborate maze of something like 100 rooms, all decorated like a haunted house. During Halloween they have a huge production there, with over 200 actors to scare the masses. It's wild! Here's the link if you want to check it out..... http://www.richfarms.com/frightfarm/








So, West Virginia life........ It's been pretty sweet. We got here about 2 months back and immediately began to create our garden and clean up the property. There are about 3 acres that consist of big flat area with a huge stone house, steep hillside, lovely little Creek, and another flat area, overgrown with wild raspberries and blackberries. We made our first garden areas up by the house, including our compost, and little greenhouse. Everything is huge now, much bigger than in the pictures, those were taken a month ago. We are growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, carrots, brussel sprouts, radishes, beets, cucumbers, peas, green beans, kale, chard, arugula, mixed lettuces, broccoli, potatoes, artichokes, strawberries, onions, corn, zucchini, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin (sugar pie), and black beans. Wow, that's a mouthful, I think that's everything. First things first, we built a compost bin... it's the most important part, everyone should have one, and if you don't..... well it's a pretty simple thing to do, I'm pretty sure my cat Homer could manage, so what are you waiting for? We spent the first few weeks sweating our butts off building a fence out of trees we cleared on the property and tilling soil. After we got the garden up, we spent most of our time clearing the hillside and making massive piles of brush that we've had to chip, to use for mulch... a job we don't really enjoy, such is the reason that we haven't finished. We built a bridge (well Brian did), cleaned up an area of the creek, I planted some herbs and flowers, and we have been trying to keep busy.




I am happy here, I love Brian, his mom is great, the house is beautiful, and West Virginia weather has stolen my heart, thunder and lightening storms one day, sunny skies the next, downpour the next.... and it remains warm. Mesmerizing, and the plants love the rain, everything is so green. There is a sweet little food co-op and a farmers market every Saturday, even Kroger, the big chain grocery here, has a huge organic section, so we can find all the food goods we need. I'm thinking about attending the college here, majoring in art, or trying to find some heart satisfying work.... we shall see.




We got to go home a week past, for my papa's 60th birthday, it was a whirlwind of events, but oh so fun, and so good to see those of you that I could, and sad I couldn't see the rest, so busy. Especially missed seeing Myra and her new baby Riley. Another time. I hope you all are enjoying your spring and are happy and healthy. Much Love.




1 comment: